1. Do not focus on eating less food- focus on eating the right foods. Significantly decreasing your food intake will decrease your overall metabolism and increase the rate of weight gain when you return to normal eating. The overall strategy is to eat the appropriate number of calories for your body, the right foods, and increase metabolism and burn fat.
2. Eliminate refined sugars and flours (including white bread, pasta, regular or diet soft drinks, candy, cookies, desserts, crackers) and fried foods that not only increase your weight, but also your risk for diabetes, heart disease and other disorders. Substitute protein or complex carbohydrates (ex. whole grains, vegetables, fruits and fiber-rich foods, protein bars, legumes, nuts) for them. Avoid excessive consumption of vegetables high in carbohydrates like potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn. Soups are satiating and healthy and can assist in weight loss. Remember that cravings for specific foods usually last for only a few minutes, so they can be overcome.
3. Increase consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, especially those high in fiber (the daily recommended allowance is 25 g fiber). Fiber is not only essential for providing regular bowel movements and aiding weight loss, but also for reducing the risk of cancer, high cholesterol and heart disease.
4. At Green Crescent Herbs & Acupuncture Clinic, we can recommend supplements to increase overall metabolism, fat metabolism, digestive assimilation, and elimination of waste products. However, such supplements can be unsafe if used incorrectly- therefore, Green Crescent Herbs & Acupuncture Clinic only recommends the appropriate supplements after having evaluated your medical history and current health condition.
5. Acupuncture can help support metabolism and reduce cravings for specific types of foods, such as sweets, salty snacks or caffeinated beverages.
6. Include exercise in your daily routine. At Green Crescent Herbs & Acupuncture Clinic, we can recommend the appropriate frequency and intensity of exercise to burn fat and lose weight.
7. Drink approximately 6-8 glasses of water per day, depending upon your body weight.
8. Stop eating at least 3 hours before bedtime. Some people also find it beneficial to eat a lighter dinner than lunch.